Ibuprofen Toxicity in Dogs

PetMD VET AUTHORED                                  ALERT                                            PetMD Seal
Thogersen Family Farm Recalls Raw Frozen Ground Pet Food (Rabbit; Duck; Llama; Pork) Due to Potential of Listeria Monocytogenes

                             VET APPROVED

Image via iStock.com/FluxFactory

If you are worried that your dog ate ibuprofen, you should take them to a veterinarian immediately. Ibuprofen toxicity in dogs can cause serious damage to the kidneys, so time is of the essence if you think your dog has gotten ahold of the medication.

Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) commonly used in humans to relieve pain and reduce fever. It is available in many over-the-counter formulations (Advil, Motrin, Midol, etc.) as well as in prescription-strength medications. Though relatively safe for people, ibuprofen can be toxic for dogs.

Symptoms of Ibuprofen Toxicity in Dogs

 

Symptoms may include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Bloody feces (red or black)
  • Blood in vomit
  • Nausea
  • Lack of appetite
  • Weight loss
  • Stomach ulcers and perforation
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased urination
  • Decreased or lack of urine
  • Seizures
  • Incoordination (lack of coordination)
  • Coma
  • Death

Causes

 

Ultimately, the cause of poisoning is that the dog ate Advil or another medication containing ibuprofen. Although most cases of ibuprofen ingestion in dogs are accidental, there are instances in which pet owners administer ibuprofen-containing medications to their dog, believing them to be safe.

Giving dogs ibuprofen or other OTC human medications can be extremely hazardous to a pet’s health. You should always consult a veterinarian before administering any nonprescribed medications.

Ibuprofen inhibits COX enzymes, which normally have a protective effect on the mucosal barrier of the gastrointestinal tract, keep blood flowing normally to the kidneys, and help regulate platelet function.

When COX enzymes are inhibited, the mucosal lining of the gastrointestinal tract becomes damaged. This causes symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and intestinal upset, and causes gastric ulcers to form. Reduced blood flow to the kidneys results in kidney damage. Reduced platelet aggregation leads to an increased tendency to bleed abnormally.

Diagnosis

 

After asking you questions regarding the dog’s medical history, your veterinarian will perform blood and urine tests in order to assess possible kidney compromise. These test will also check for the appearance of gastrointestinal, renal and neurological signs associated with ibuprofen toxicity in dogs.

Tell your veterinarian if you think or know that your dog ate ibuprofen (or any other medication). She is not going to judge you; she is trying to treat your pet quickly and effectively. We all know that accidents happen.

Treatment

 

If ingestion has just occurred and symptoms are not present, vomiting may be induced at home with hydrogen peroxide. Or you can take your dog to the vet, where they will use apomorphine to induce vomiting. Consult your veterinarian for instructions before inducing vomiting at home.

Activated charcoal may be used to absorb any excess ibuprofen poison in the stomach that has not been vomited out. In some cases, gastric lavage(“pumping the stomach”) may also be necessary.

In situations where the kidneys have become damaged due to ibuprofen poisoning, fluid therapy and blood or plasma transfusions will be required. Controlling vomiting in dogs with antiemetic prescription pet medications may be recommended as well as the use of gastrointestinal protectants. Gastric perforation will require surgical correction. Anticonvulsant medications (seizure medications for dogs) may be necessary if seizures occur.

Prevention

 

Ibuprofen and dogs do not mix. Keep your pets from accidentally ingesting Advil or other medications containing ibuprofen by securing all drugs in a location that’s inaccessible to your dog.

 

Ibuprofen Toxicity in Dogs | petMD

 

COMMENTS FROM LOVINMYPUP.COM:

While most of the incidences of ingestion are accidental, there have been instances of pet parents actually giving their pups Ibuprofen to help them.   This human medication is poisonous to our canine fur babies.   A great rule of thumb is to never give your pet any over the  counter or prescription drugs without consulting your Veterinarian.    If you follow this “golden rule” you will never jeopardize the health of your fur baby..

IF YOU NEED TO ORDER ANY PET SUPPLIES PLEASE USE ANY OF THE BANNER LINKS ON THIS SITE. 

Check out the banner/links to the various on line stores to the right of this page  (lap top) or beneath the article (smart phone).  There are traditional pet stores as well as well as  specialty stores for gifts that would make any pet parent ecstatic!  There is also a link to Amazon, Chewy, and Walmart where you can purchase anything that they sell.   We are delighted to announce a new affiliate agreement with  Embark Vet (DNA testing for pups and CannaPet . Just click on the links and shop for pet products as well as fabulous gifts for the pet fanatics on your gift lists!

Please note that Lovinmypup will receive a small percentage  from each purchase.through the links on this site.    This percentage helps us keep the site up and running.  We thank you in advance for your assistance in keeping this site operational.    Purchases through these links  help me keep this site up and running.  Thank you in advance for helping us stay on line.

AND MAKE SURE YOU SHARE YOUR LOVE WITH YOUR FUR BABY EACH AND EVERY DAY!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Facebook